Tuesday 8 July 2014

Five Fallacious Fieldfares

Finished The First Word last week and one of the surprising things I learnt was that language doesn’t involve unless the information it carries is only partial. This according to Edinburgh’s Professor of Language Evolution, Simon Kirby’s computational models is a dead cert. Interesting when paired with teachings about poetic form and the need for constraint. Read the following on Wired by Jonah Lehrer for an overview: 


*

In trying to find a half-remembered quote on how the poet must make up how he wants to be read me mate Kevin Riel (check out Foothill, the magazine he edits) sent me this link. Like the following from it especially: “I try to accept as many as I can: as many as the individual poems I read persuade me to accept.”


*

Came across the Facebook page of a friend from Birmingham on Twitter, Sarah Silverwood. She’s currently based in Walsall and her work is grand. I fantasise about a book with some of her drawings on the front. See the studio photos especially.



*

Opera? In th’North? To be honest I didn’t even know it existed but now I’m outraged. Still, I suppose all those frock coats and ball gowns are pretty pricey. 


*

Mentioned Simon Kirby in the first. Here’s an hour long talk by him on evolutionary linguistics if that’s your thing. Personally I had a nerdgasm. But there we are. 

No comments:

Post a Comment